Funboard Model -The Stella Maris Surfboard*Regular price $975.00
*Includes free fin-set with board purchase (for a limited time).
Timeline from order to board delivery: 6 weeks (approx.)
THE BOARD THAT MAKES A SURFER OUT OF YOU
Grab the Stella Maris Funboard model and get (back) in the ocean. The Funboard model is our no-brainer go-to board for beginners, recreational surfers, or anyone looking to jump back into the surf. Sporting a user-friendly double round end design, the Funboard model catches every wave it goes after with it's extra length and float, but features a tapered outline for turning ability off the tail. As your surfing approach changes from beginner to seasoned cruiser, this board will adapt with you. The single + 2 fin setup gives you options for classic single fin surf style or more hold in bigger, powerful surf with two side fins.
Available in Stella Maris iconography artwork commissioned specifically for Motherboards’ surfboard lineup.
The Funboard model is an original design built exclusively for Motherboards by Foam Works Surfboards in the Outer Banks, North Carolina, USA. Our surfboards are constructed one at a time with superb craftsmanship from industry-best, high-performance materials. You will not find a better built board.
- Mid-length size and full outline are designed for entry level, intermediate, or anyone looking to cruise in waves where your shortboard won’t cut it. Sizes available from 7’0”, 7’6”, and 8’0 in length (Volume range: 44.3 Liters, 52.5 Liters, and 61.3 Liters, respectively).
- Double round-end profile, slightly widened nose with plenty of surface area that glides right into waves for easy paddling and easy takeoffs.
- Medium rocker and rounded tail shape allow for smooth, arching turns.
- Versatile fin box can be ridden as a single fin or single +2 fin setup for speed down the line or extra hold through turns in more critical surf.
- EPS + Epoxy Construction: Super durable, strong, flexible, and higher ding resistance than traditional polyurethane/polyester construction.
- Gravity Glassing with S-Cloth fiberglass: greater strength and less weight than common E-Cloth fiberglass.
- Ability Level: Entry Level - Intermediate - Advanced - Fun for All Levels.
- Futures fin boxes: 3 fin-box setup for options to ride as a Single fin or single +2 setup, depending upon surfer preference, style, and surf break. For a limited time during this product launch, starter fins are included with your board order!
- EPS/Epoxy Construction: Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) foam is much lighter than polyurethane (PU) foam and has a more buoyant feel to it, as they sit a little higher in the water. This can be beneficial for building speed faster, also making it easier to glide through flat sections. The combination of EPS and Epoxy resin is stronger and more flexible than traditional PU/polyester resin, allowing it to snap back into shape with less denting than PU/polyester construction.
- S-Cloth fiberglass: S-Cloth is made from higher quality raw material (magnesium) than E-cloth and is about 30% stronger and 15% stiffer than E-Cloth. In very basic terms, it has a tighter weave with more fibers per square inch. Most commonly used to provide greater strength with less weight than with E-glass, S-Cloth is ultimately compatible with epoxy resins. More impact resistant to heel dents and pressure dents, extending the durability and longevity of the board.
- Gravity Glassing: This glassing technique allows the resin to soak up into the fiberglass cloth, creating an even and full saturation of resin, leading to less resin puddling and potential fragile areas on the board surface.
- Made in the USA at Foam Works Surfboards in the Outer Banks, North Carolina.
See our volume calculator to dial in your recommended board.
Dimension format: Length (in.) x Width (in.) x Thickness (in.); Volume (Liters)
7’0” x 21 ½ ” x 2 9/16”; 44.3 Liters
7’6” x 22” x 2 ¾”; 52.5 Liters
8’0” x 22 ½ ” x 2 ⅞”, 61.3 Liters
Stella Maris “Star of the Sea.” Our Lady, Star of the Sea, is an ancient title for the Virgin Mary. The words Star of the Sea are a translation of the Latin title Stella Maris. The title has been in use since at least the early medieval period, coming to be seen in light of Mary's role as "guiding star" on the way to Christ. Our Lady Star of the Sea, Stella Maris, is the patroness of those who sail the seas (and those who surf them!). Saint Bonaventure reminds us that she also "guides to a landfall in heaven those who navigate the sea of this world in the ship of innocence or penance." Ships at sea might be guided by the North Star. Our Lady, Star of the Sea, aids not only the sailors aboard those ships, she also aids all those who sail the stormy seas of life.
In the twelfth century, Saint Bernard of Clairvaux wrote: "If the winds of temptation arise; if you are driven upon the rocks of tribulation look to the star, call on Mary. If you are tossed upon the waves of pride, of ambition, of envy, of rivalry, look to the star, call on Mary. Should anger, or avarice, or fleshly desire violently assail the frail vessel of your soul, look at the star, call upon Mary."
The Roman Catholic Church honors Our Lady, Star of the Sea, with a feast day assigned to September 27.
Star of the Sea, Light Our Way
Star of the Sea so radiant in the glory of God’s Love
Your crown outshining all the stars of heaven above,
O, lovely Queen of Peace, gowned in azure’s of the sea,
Help us find the way to Jesus, in your wise serenity.
We ask you Pearl of Grace to grant us vision, courage, will,
So ‘peace on earth’, that miracle, at last might be fulfilled!
Dear Mother of the Church, blessed beacon of God’s Light,
May you always guide your children on the stormy seas of life.
Make our hearts into safe harbors where dear Jesus is received
Hear our prayer, O, Spiritual Vessel, Mother of God, Star of the Sea.
~ Anna Frasca
Bottom Side (nose to tail down the board):
The St. Benedict medal is a prayer of exorcism against Satan, a prayer for strength in time of temptation, a prayer for peace among ourselves and among the nations of the world, a prayer that the Cross of Christ be our light and guide, a prayer of firm rejection of all that is evil, a prayer of petition that we may with Christian courage "walk in God's ways, with the Gospel as our guide," as St. Benedict urges us.
May the holy cross be my light! May the dragon never be my guide! On the back of the medal, the cross is dominant. On the arms of the cross are the initial letters of a rhythmic Latin prayer: Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Nunquam draco sit mihi dux! (Translation: May the holy cross be my light! May the dragon never be my guide!)
As patroness of those who sail the seas, Our Lady Star of the Sea, guides us to Christ as we sail the seas of life, often choppy and stormy brought on by sudden “change of winds” and unexpected circumstances. During our seasons of trial and hardship, the life and example of the Virgin Mary echo the words of the apostle Peter to Jesus, “Master, to whom shall we go, you have the words of eternal life.”
Inscribed on the sail of the boat is the symbol consisting of the intertwined letters A and M, called Auspice Maria, a monogram of the Virgin Mary. Auspice Maria is Latin for “Under the protection of Mary.”
From the Artist:
“When we read books we can see images in our minds, and being commissioned for a work of art is much the same. The client says, “Stella Maris,” and there she is in my mind - a dazzling display of everything that the sea was to me growing up as a child and teen. I had spent countless late nights with friends stargazing on dark beaches. I always felt the presence of Our Lady in those moonlit moments, even when I was far from her Son.
Strong and powerful, calm and gentle, hauntingly beautiful - the Blessed Mother and the sea have much in common. But in this image we find her in the light. Mary is lit wholly from the light of her Son. She becomes a beacon of hope and a guiding light to all her children who are traveling in darkness.”
~ Elizabeth Zelasko
To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and returned within 14 days in the same condition that you received it. You will need to pay for return shipping and insurance. Contact us for more information at 720-323-6260.
No International returns.
Refunds (if applicable):
Once item is received and inspected, a refund will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, and an email notification will be sent immediately after.
Motherboard logo and all artwork contained herein © 2021, Motherboards, LLC.